Malcolm Davidson


Malcolm MacLeod Davidson
Born: June 26, 1926 (Stony Mountain, Manitoba)
Died: May 26, 2014 (Winnipeg, Manitoba)

Malcolm Davidson, an athlete from Manitoba, spent nine seasons playing hockey in the English (later British) National League. In 1952, he took part in an exhibition match arranged at the request of the Duke of Edinburgh.

Born in Stony Mountain, Man., Davidson played his junior and senior hockey in Winnipeg. In 1948, he went overseas for his first of several seasons of hockey, mostly spent with the Wembley Lions. He played for the Wembley Monarchs in 1949-50 and briefly for the Harringay Racers.

ImageA 6-foot-1, 170-pounder, Davidson mostly played defence, but he also filled in as a forward. The rosters of the English teams were filled with Canadian players and Davidson enjoyed success in regular-season play, as he did in Autumn Cup games.In 60 games in 1952-53, Davidson scored 33 goals with 45 assists. At the end of the season, he was presented the Sportsman’s Bowl by Lady Noel Curtis Bennett as the most outstanding player on the Wembley Lions.

In 1952, he played forward for the Lions in an exhibition against an all-star team compised of top players from Harringay, Streatham and Earl’s Court. The match was organized at the duke’s request. He had witnessed NHL games in Canada on a tour with Princess Elizabeth the previous year. All the players received a medallion as a souvenir of their royal command performance.

On Jan. 30, 1954, Davidson captained the Lions in an exhibition game in Paris against the East York Lyndhursts, a Toronto-based senior team named for a sponsoring automobile dealership. The Canadian professionals drubbed the Lyndhursts, 11-2. The game was a warmup for the Toronto team, which lost the world championship to the Soviet Union five weeks later at Stockholm, Sweden.

Davidson returned from the English season to join the Winnipeg Maroons for the Allan Cup playoffs in 1955. He had one goal and two assists in five games.

After returning to Manitoba for good after the 1956-57 season, Davidson skated for the St. Boniface Seals, an intermediate team.

Away from the rink, he was a dedicated photographer, working for many years as manager of Strains, a well-known camera store in Winnipeg.

Davidson died at Victoria General Hospital in Winnipeg. He leaves Sheila, his wife of 64 years; three sons; two grandchildren; and, two sisters.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s