Mark Marquess

Mark Marquess (Hershey)

Clarence Emmett Marquess
Born: March 26, 1925 (Bassano, Alberta)
Died: January 19, 2015 (East Wenatchee, Washington)

Mark Marquess scored two goals in his NHL debut. Despite his first-day success, he would only score three more in his NHL career.

Mark Marquess (newspaper mug)Marquess was a forward who played for the Boston Bruins in the second half of the 1946-47 season. He scored five goals and added four assists in 27 games, helping the Bruins qualify for the playoffs.

The 5-foot-8, 160-pound right winger was one of three rookies summoned from the Hershey Bears farm club by Bruins manager Art Ross in January, 1947. Marquess was joined by centre Jack McGill and defenceman Fern Flaman. Going the other way were veterans Babe Pratt, Don Grosso and John Tierson.

Marquess scored two goals in his debut playing on a line with McGill at centre and Eddie Barry on left wing. His goals came against Paul Bibeault in the net as the Bruins defeated the visiting Chicago Black Hawks by 6-3.

Marquess scored against Detroit’s Harry Lumley two weeks later in a 4-1 win at Boston Garden.

His fourth goal came against Turk Broda in a losing cause as the Toronto Maple Leafs defeated the Bruins 5-2 at Maple Leaf Garden.

What would be his fifth and final NHL goal was scored before 20,004 fans at Chicago Stadium, trumpeted at the time as the largest crowd ever to watch a professional hockey hame. The Bruins defeated rookie goaltender Emile (The Cat) Francis and the Black Hawks by 9-4.

The Bruins were swept by the Montreal Canadiens in the playoffs, Marquess failing to get on the scoresheet.

Born in Bassano, Alta., Marquess played two seasons of junior hockey with the Trail (B.C.) Smoke Eaters and the Moose Jaw (Sask.) Canucks. After just four games of senior hockey with the Saskatoon Elks, the forward joined the Boston Olympics of the Eastern Amateur Hockey League. Except for his stint with the parent Bruins, he spent the next five seasons with the Bears of the American Hockey League. He scored 25 goals in 58 games with Hershey in 1948-49.

Marquess went west for the 1951-52 season, playing two seasons with the Tacoma (Wash.) Rockets, scoring 17 and 25 goals. He followed with a career-high 28 goals in 1953-54 with the Seattle Bombers. After 96 games with the Victoria Cougars over two seasons, he was sold to the old Vancouver Canucks. He wound up his career playing senior hockey with the Vernon Canadians and Kamloops Chiefs.

The forward was known among his teammates for playing his guitar, which he brought with him throughout his travels in the minor pros. In the summers, he worked on an Alberta cattle ranch.

Marquess settled in East Wenatchee, Wash. Two of his sons played football for the University of Idaho Vandals. Wayne Marquess was a cornerback, while Rand Marquess was a linebacker.

Marquess was predeceased by Loretta (Lori) Elizabeth (née Milane), his wife of 65 years, who died in 2013 at age 85. The couple met when she was a telephone operator in Boston.

Mark Marquess (guitar)

Mark Marquess (program cover)

Bruins call up 3 farm hands (Mark Marquess) (The Day (New London, Conn.) Jan. 14, 1947)

The Day (New London, Conn.), Jan. 14, 1947


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s