Mark Reeds

Los Angeles Kings v Ottawa Senators

Mark Reed was an assistant coach of the Ottawa Senators.

Mark Reeds
Born: January 24, 1960 (Burlington, Ontario)
Died: April 14, 2015 (St. Louis, Missouri)

Mark Reeds, an assistant coach with the NHL’s Ottawa Senators from 2011, died in St. Louis of cancer after being hospitalized with pneumonia. He was 55.

Mark Reeds (mug)Reeds was diagnosed with cancer a year before his death. His death was announced by the team the day before it was to begin a playoff series with the Montreal Canadiens.

The 5-foot-10, 178-pound right winger was a checking forward with the St. Louis Blues and the Hartford Whalers in a 365-game NHL career.

He played three years of junior hockey with the Peterborough Petes under mercurial coach Mike Keenan. He had a 34-goal season in his final campaign with the Ontario major junior team in 1979-80. Reeds scored the overtime winner for a 5-4 victory over the Regina Pats in the first game of the 1980 Memorial Cup tournament in Brandon, Man.

The Petes went on to face the Cornwall (Ont.) Royals for the Cup, a game they lost 3-2 in overtime, as Regina fans booed the Petes and belted them with eggs and rotten vegetables in the belief they had earlier thrown a game against the Royals to eliminate the Pats. He was named to the Memorial Cup tournament’s all-star team. (The Pats coach at the time, Bryan Murray, was the Senators general manager who hired Reeds as an assistant coach.)

Reeds also skated for Canada’s under-20 team at the world championships that season, scoring one goal in five games. (Canada’s top scorer on the junior squad was future NHL sniper Dino Ciccarelli, who scored five goals in five games.)

Mark Reeds (card)The St. Louis Blues drafted Reeds in the third round (No. 86 overall) of the 1979 NHL entry draft.

The slight forward spent most of the following three seasons with the Salt Lake Golden Eagles, though he was called up for a total of 29 games with the Blues.

He emerged as a full-time NHL player in 1984-84. His unenviable task was the check the top scoring line of the opposing team.

On Nov. 20, 1984, he scored a hat-trick and added an assist as the Blues demolished the Canucks, 5-1, in Vancouver. Canucks coach Bill LaForge was fired the following day.

Reeds missed to games in 1986-87 after suffering second- and third-degree burns from splattering hot oil while trying to make popcorn.

He was traded to the Whalers for a third-round draft choice in 1987. He played 45 games in Hartford, spending most of a season with the Binghamton Whalers of the American Hockey League.

Reeds scored 45 goals (all with the Blues) and added 114 assists in his NHL career. He had eight goals and nine assists in 53 playoff games.

After two seasons with Fiemme Cavalese in Italy, Reeds retired as a player only to return to play 16 games with the Peoria Rivermen in 1992-93. He scored four goals for the International Hockey League team.

Reeds, who was nicknamed The Dude as a player, had an extensive coaching career in the minor pros with the Peoria Rivermen, Missouri River Otters and Kalamazoo K-Wings. He became head coach of the junior Owen Sound (Ont.) Attack in 2007-08. In 2011, he won the Matt Leyden Trophy as the Ontario Hockey League’s coach of the year. He had guided the Attack to a 46-17-5 record for 97 points, a 35-point improvement on their previous season.

Mark Reeds (Blues)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s